for Newman University in Wichita, KS
Reports to: Controller
Support the Controller and the CFO in the accounting and financial activities of the University in accordance with the established policies and procedures. Provide accurate and timely information to assist the Controller and the CFO in the preparation of financial statements, management reports and the audit.
1. RESTRICTED GIFTS & GRANTS (15%)
• Reviews Gift Lists from Advancement to insure accurate recording of gifts and pledges.
• Monitors and reconciles grant funds, including compliance with grant restrictions. Prepares necessary third party grant reports.
• Monitors endowment funds and allocates interest to such funds.
• Monitors and records other restricted funds including budget relief.
• Prepares monthly reports for departments detailing restricted funds available.
• Records budget relief on a quarterly basis.
• Maintains and monitors gift annuity fund.
• Maintain detail of revenue and expense of St. Mary’s of the Plains College Endowment. Allocates interest monthly and administrative fee quarterly.
2. FEDERAL FUNDS ACCOUNTS (10%)
• Assists Financial aid in reconciling Federal funds and filing of federal and state grant reports. Monitors funds and prepares cash reports and enters into GAPS (Grant Administration and Payment System). Works with the Financial aid office in monitoring federal grant money and updates the Controller concerning available funds.
3. FEDERAL FUNDS ACCOUNTS – continued
• Reconciles electronic loan funds cash and liability account.
• Updates Empower database with work-study memo payments.
4. GENERAL ACCOUNTING (25%)
• Maintains financial accounting software system. Performs month end and year end closing procedures.
• Maintains accurate accounting records.
• General accounting to include review and detail of various general ledger accounts and reconciliation of, i.e. Insurance and Investments.
• Reconciles all operating bank accounts.
• Prepares monthly journal entries.
• Prepares required third party financial related forms and reports, i.e. sales tax returns and PSC272 reports.
• Performs and manages projects and other work as assigned.
• Processes & reviews the account receivable/general ledger interface and makes necessary journal entries.
• Provides backup in other areas of the Finance and Administration as requested by Controller.
• Maintains control over the fixed assets of the university.
• Performs Bookstore and Scooters monthly accounting.
5. AUDIT (20%)
• Coordinates and completes the annual audit and Title IV funds audit.
6. BUDGET MANAGEMENT & COST ANALYSIS (15%)
• Assist Controller with annual budget development.
• Assist Controller with budget reviews and budget controls. Indentifies wasteful & excessive spending.
• Assist Controller with management reports both ongoing and ad hoc.
7. LOAN APPLICATION & PROCESSING (2.5%)
• Help Financial Aid and apply financial aid loans and reconcile to roster.
8. COMMITTEE WORK & CUSTOMER SERVICE (2.5%)
• Participate and contribute to financial related committees as assigned by Controller.
• Assists customers with accounting related questions.
9. FINANCIAL REPORTING & TAX (5%)
• Prepares financial statements and management reports. Distribute budget and financial reports to users as determined.
• Coordinates preparation and distribution of 1098-T’s.
• Prepares annual regulatory compliance reports, i.e. IPEDS, KICA, 5500 return, 990 return, state returns.
10. CASH MANANGEMENT & REPORTING (5%)
• Assist Controller with cash management and reporting. Prepares cash flow forecasts.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel in this job.
Required Qualifications at this Level
• B.S. degree in accounting. Advanced accounting/finance courses a plus.
• A minimum of 3 to 5 years recent experience in a responsible accounting or auditing position.
• Working knowledge of automated accounting systems and databases.
• Working knowledge of GAAP
• Proficient in Microsoft Excel and Word. Advanced excel skills a plus.
• Good working knowledge of MS Office and other programs. i.e. Outlook, PowerPoint, Access, Adobe
• Accounting certification is highly desirable, i.e. CMA, CPA, CIA
• Career orientated with passion for University’s mission
• Sound analytical skills.
• Ability to work overtime to meet schedules and complete projects when needed.
Ability to work in busy office setting and handle frequent interruptions. Strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills essential. Ability to handle confidential information in a discreet manner.
For consideration submit cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to HR@newmanu.edu or apply below.
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled.
Recent jobs at Newman University