for Newman University in Wichita, KS
The staff account performs detail accounting functions for the university; assists the controller with the preparation of budget and financial analyses, tax filings, monthly and special financial reports, in accordance with applicable policies and procedures; and provides back-up support to accounts payable, payroll, student accounts and accounting staff.
1. CASH ACCOUNTING & RECORDKEEPING (15%)
• Reconcile operating bank accounts.
• Maintain/Update daily cash log and assist Controller with cash reporting.
• Monitors outstanding checks and correspondence.
• Prepares annual unclaimed property reports.
• Assist with the accounting, processing and management of federal funds.
2. ACCOUNTING & RECORDKEEPING (50%)
• Prepare and post monthly journal entries. (Actual and Budget)
• Review, verify and reconcile Faculty overload and adjunct contracts from Course Change system to general ledger.
• Perform accounting services for university auxiliary enterprises, including residence halls, athletics, fine arts, food service and Bookstore & Scooters. Includes maintaining housing deposit lists, bonus bucks and other deposit reconciliations.
• Perform/assist with endowment and gifts and grants accounting and reporting.
• Perform Newman University Wetland Conservation Corporation accounting and form preparation.
• Calculate/Allocate/Record utility invoices.
• Update Empower with work-study records.
• Prepare and assist with tax compliance reporting and form preparation, including 1099, 1098T, project tax exemption certificates, 990, sales tax and other forms.
• Assist Controller with: fixed asset/depreciation accounting; account reconciliations and reviews; general accounting; audit preparations and compliance; software maintenance; reconciliations of encumbrance and accounts payable reports with general ledger.
• Assist Controller with financial analyses and reports management reports.
• Assist Controller with internal control reviews and internal audit projects as assigned.
• Assist staff with office filing and organization.
• Assist Controller and help Financial Aid and apply financial aid loans and reconcile to roster.
3. NCAA REPORTING (5%)
• Assist controller and NCAA Compliance Officer with EADA report and compliance preparation.
4. BUDGET DEVELOPMENT & ANALYSIS (10%)
• Assist Controller with annual budget development, budget reviews and controls. Identify/explain variances. Support Jet Stream on line budget procedures and access security.
5. COMMITTEE WORK & CUSTOMER SERVICE
• Assist customers with accounting related questions and participate in SIMS meetings or other meetings as assigned.
6. STAFF SUPPORT AND BACKUP (10%)
• Provides backup in other areas of the Finance and Administration as requested by Controller.
• Perform “operation critical” back-up support for accounts payable, payroll and student accounts personnel.
7. PURCHASING CARDS and Other (10%)
• Coordinate University purchasing card program.
• Process and post purchasing card expenses.
• Process special billings through Empower. I.e. Catholic Charities.
• Maintain Housing Deposit Listing and reconcile to general ledger.
• Obtain and maintain file for yearly SAS 70 reports
• Perform other duties as assigned.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel in this job.
Required Qualifications at this Level
• Education: Minimum two year degree in accounting or bookkeeping. Bachelor degree recommended.
• Experience: Minimum of 3 years of experience working in an accounting or finance environment.
• Dependable, detail oriented, high standards of professionalism.
• High level knowledge and working experience with Microsoft products i.e. Excel, Word, and accounting systems.
• Interest/willingness to learn new skills and advance in accounting field.
• Ability to work overtime to meet schedules and complete projects when need.
Ability to work in busy office setting and handle frequent interruptions. Strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills essential. Ability to handle confidential information in a discreet manner.
For consideration submit cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to HR@newmanu.edu or apply below.
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled.
Recent jobs at Newman University